mason jar bread pudding
1 serving — 30 minutes
Growing up bread pudding was my favourite dessert. After the holidays, my aunt would give my mom a bag of crusts, left over from the sandwiches she'd make for xmas. She used these to make bread pudding.
I asked my mom for her recipe, because I wanted to learn. She smiled, "Watch me do it". My mom cooks by feel, always has. She never writes anything down. I stood by her as she made it, taking notes of the approximate quantities and various steps.
My mom comes from a big family of 7 girls, she grew up cooking for the family. When cooking for my sisters & I, she'd always prepare a basin-load of food. Her bread pudding recipe is no different. My dad has no trouble going through all of it.
Devine & I are a good eaters, but there's no way we can eat that much dessert, so I reduced and reduced, until it fit a wide-mouth 1/4 l(1 cup) mason jar.
If ever you have some leftover crusts try and make this, it's easy, delicious and comforting.
- soft tofu 90 g
- soy milk 80 ml
- vanilla extract 1.25 ml
- bread crusts 20 g, packed
- dried raisins 9 g
- apple 1, small
- brown sugar 5 g
- cinnamon 1.25 g
- maple syrup 15 ml
- Preheat oven at 180 °C (350 °F)
- Combine 90g (~1/4 cup) of soft tofu, 80 ml (1/3 cup) of soy milk and 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) of vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
- Take a 250 ml (1/2 pint) wide-mouthed mason jar. Fill it up halfway with bread crusts. Cut 1 apple into two, then slice the half into tiny cubes, add to the jar. Then add 9 g (1 tbsp) of dried raisins. Pour liquid to cover until it's level with the bread crusts
- Cover with more bread crusts and dried raisins. Pour more liquid onto it, until the jar is about 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle 5 g (1 tsp) of brown sugar on top, decorate with apple slices (use the other half of the apple), add 1.25 g (1/4 tsp), cinnamon and 15 ml (1 tbsp) of maple syrup overtop.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until top is browned. Let cool, drizzle with some maple syrup and enjoy!