These yellow treats will help brighten up cold, and grey winter days. Turmeric powder has a subtle taste, and will also do a good job of making your baked goods yellow!
In these cookies, I use spelt flour because it's more nutritious than wheat flour. Cookies aren't exactly high on the 'health food' scale though, that I know, but it's a way of sneaking in whole grains which can contribute to good health. When it comes to sugar, there are no true 'healthy' alternatives. Desserts are rare treats, and should be eaten in moderation. The same goes for oil. I used canola oil because it imparts little flavor, and because it's a source of omega3.
It's possible to use chocolate chips, but I like to use Carob chips because they lack bitterness and contain no caffeine. I'm a coffee drinker, I enjoy a good cup of coffee, but because an excess of caffeine can worsen my anxiety I try and limit my intake, and this includes chocolate products because they contain theobromine.
- all purpose flour 60 g
- spelt flour 60 g
- baking powder 5 g
- ground turmeric 10 g
- dried orange peel 5 g
- canola oil 90 ml
- whole cane sugar 100 g
- soy milk 90 mold
- carob chips 20
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Mix 60 g (1/2 cup) of all purpose flour, 60 g (1/2 cup) of spelt flour, 5 g (1 tsp) of baking powder, 10 g (2 tsp) of turmeric powder and 5 g (1 tsp) of ground dried orange peels in a bowl. Stir well to mix.
- NOTE: You can make your own dried orange peels by keeping the peels of organic navel oranges, slicing then thinly, then drying them in an oven at 90 °C (200 °F) for 25-30 minutes. They keep 3 months in the refrigerator. You can grind them with a mortar and pestle for this recipe.
- Cream 90 ml (6 tbsp) of canola oil with 100 g (1/2 cup) of whole cane sugar in a separate bowl. Then. mix with the dry ingredients, gradually adding 90 ml (6 tbsp) of soy milk (15 ml at a time) until you get a soft and consistent dough.
- Line a baking sheet with a baking mat, make 16 little balls of dough and flatten each one gently. Add a carob chips at the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool, and serve with some tea!