Black sesame chocolate cookies with a wasabi glaze, it's surprising how well these two things go together.
I wanted to mix the wasabi directly in the cookies at first, but after reading a lot about baking wasabi, I decided to apply it after in the form of a glaze because the taste of wasabi fades significantly when heated.
It doesn't taste too strong, and adds just the right amount of kick.
Quick Yogurt: To make quick yogurt or sour milk, add apple cider vinegar to soy milk. The vinegar makes soy curdle and thicken, and adds sourness that makes it taste more complex.
- flax seeds 15 g
- water 45 ml
- black sesame seeds 35 g
- canola oil 60 ml
- soy yogurt 30 ml
- whole cane sugar 130 g
- vanilla extract 5 ml
- sea salt 1.25 g
- cocoa powder 30 g
- rolled oats 140 g, ground
- soy milk 10 ml
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Mix 15 g (1 tbsp) of ground flax seeds with 45 ml (3 tbsp) of water (this is your 'flax egg'). Let thicken.
- Sautee 35 g (1/4 cup) of black sesame seeds in a non-stick pan at medium heat, roast until they begin to pop. Let cool.
- Mix the sesame seeds with 30 ml (2 tbsp) of soy yogurt and pulse in an immersion blender. Alternatively, you can crush the sesame seeds into a mortar and pestle first, then mix it into the soy yogurt.
- In a bowl, add the flax seed 'egg' to the sesame mix, along with a 60 ml (1/4 cup) of canola oil, 130 g (2/3 cup) of whole cane sugar and 5 ml (1 tsp) of vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Take 140 g (1 1/2 cups) of rolled oats, break it down into 'coarse' flour with a mortar and pestle. Don't grind it too finely, having bigger bits gives an interesting texture to the cookie!
- Add the dry ingredients one by one, mixing thoroughly in-between. Add 1.25 g (1/4 tsp) of salt, 30 ml (2 tbsp) of unsweetened cocoa powder, the coarsely ground 'oat' flour as well as 10 ml (2 tsp) of soy milk
- Take 1 generous spoonful of cookie dough and form into a ball. Put the balls onto a baking sheet lined with a baking mat. Flatten the balls a bit with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 13 minutes, let cool.
- powdered sugar 50 g
- wasabi powder 15 g
- soy milk 30 ml
- Mix 50 g (1/2 cup) of powdered sugar and 15 g (1 tbsp) of wasabi powder together.
- Add 30 ml (2 tbsp) of soy milk in gradually while mixing, add more if need be. Apply glaze to cookies! I don't have any fancy glazing tools so i just used a ziploc bag (can clean to re-use later). Just put the glaze in the bag and cut the end off one of the corners and squeeze the glaze through the hole.