uzumaki hummus bites
11 tortillas — 50 minutes
Uzumaki means 'spiral' in Japanese, it is also the name of my favourite Junji Ito story. I thought this to be a good name for these savoury beet hummus bites.
Making tortillas at home is damn easy, it doesn't require a lot of waiting time or preparation. The only thing I had trouble with, was making them into nice circular shapes. The easy way is to use a tortilla press, or it just requires lots of practice.
Making the tortillas black is optional, but it adds a nice contrast to the beet hummus.
- red beets 2
- chickpeas 250g, cooked
- garlic 2 cloves, minced
- tahini 65 g
- sea salt 1.25 g
- balsamic vinegar 15 ml
- olive oil 30 ml
- Preheat oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Wash and cut 2 small red beets into 4, rub quarters lightly with olive oil.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender.
- Cook 125 g (3/4 cup) of dried chickpeas (see instructions), or use 1 can (15oz).
- Purée the roasted beets, with the cooked 250 g (1x400g can) chickpeas, 2 minced cloves of garlic, a 65 g (1/4 cup) of tahini, 1.25 g (1/4 tsp) of salt and 15 ml (1 tbsp) of balsamic vinegar. Mix in 30 ml (2 tbsp) of olive oil at the end. If the hummus feels too thick, add a few tbsp of water until you the desired consistency.
- all purpose flour 360 g
- bamboo charcoal powder 5 g
- sea salt 5 g
- olive oil 60 ml
- water 180 ml, cold
- Put 360 g (3 cups) of all purpose flour, 5 g (1 tsp) bamboo powder and 1.25 g (1/4tsp) of salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add 60 ml (1/4 cup) of olive oil and 180 ml (3/4 cup) of cold water.
- Knead into a smooth dough, and separate into 11 balls. Dust the balls lightly with flour, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll the balls out into circles. Put the tortillas under a moist cloth until you're ready to cook them so they don't dry up (I usually spray a bit of water over the cloth).
- Heat a non-stick pan at medium heat, cook tortillas for 30 seconds on each side. Again, put the warmed tortillas under a cloth so they stay nice and moist.
- black olives 150 g
- arugula few bunches